Virus scan will not scan any files

Assistance with AVG Anti-Virus 2012 and AVG Anti-Virus 2013 Free Edition.

Moderator: Moderators

Virus scan will not scan any files

Postby bustedbicycle » Tue May 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Any scan that is attempted with AVG 10.0.1375 - whether scheduled or user initiated - scans zero files. A pop says "Whole computer scan started" and is immediately followed by a popup that says "Whole computer scan completed." The log states 0 files were scanned. AVG does not scan. This began to occur on both of my computers immediately following an AVG update that popped up when the computers were started about a week ago. The update also corrupted sndvol32.exe files and causes computers to require two separate shut downs in order to turn them off (Start/Turn off computer/shut down) times two. Microsoft Tech Support identified the missing volume control file and the double shutdown problem as being related to AGV's recent updates. Any help is appreciated. The results I would like are: 1. I'd like to use anti-virus to scan my computer. 2. I'd like to be able to listen to sound files.3 . I'd like to be able to shut down normally. Thanks in advance.
bustedbicycle
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Re: Virus scan will not scan any files

Postby sc123 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:04 am

Perform a complete un-install and re-install, per my link below in my sig. Make sure you choose to remove user settings when you un-install.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby bustedbicycle » Sat May 28, 2011 1:46 am

I was finally able to uninstall AVG, use the AVG Removal Tool, and then reinstall AVG. Using the AVG scanner still gets the same result: The scan starts and immediately finishes with zero files scanned. I am stumped. I ran Trendmicro's HouseCall, which says my computer is not infected. I have been using AVG for eight years or longer and don't want to go someplace else. However, a scan that searches no files is a scary prospect to me. I hope you can tell me what I am doing wrong.
Thanks.
bustedbicycle
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 am

bustedbicycle wrote:I was finally able to uninstall AVG, use the AVG Removal Tool, and then reinstall AVG. Using the AVG scanner still gets the same result: The scan starts and immediately finishes with zero files scanned. I am stumped. I ran Trendmicro's HouseCall, which says my computer is not infected. I have been using AVG for eight years or longer and don't want to go someplace else. However, a scan that searches no files is a scary prospect to me. I hope you can tell me what I am doing wrong.
Thanks.

Well the first scan that runs after installation is an optimization scan. It may not need to run that again because it's been done before. Open AVG and click "Scan Now" on the left and see what it scans.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby bustedbicycle » Sat May 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Same problem. AVG won't scan. Restored Win XP to previous point. Uninstalled AVG using your removal advice. Updated Win XP, firewall and other software. Reinstalled AVG. Rebooted several times. It won't scan. Unstalled AVG and reinstalled twice more. I have tried several times and rebooting several times. AVG will not scan. Stumped.
bustedbicycle
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:36 pm

bustedbicycle wrote:Same problem. AVG won't scan. Restored Win XP to previous point. Uninstalled AVG using your removal advice. Updated Win XP, firewall and other software. Reinstalled AVG. Rebooted several times. It won't scan. Unstalled AVG and reinstalled twice more. I have tried several times and rebooting several times. AVG will not scan. Stumped.

Under "Scan Now" click "Scan Options". Then click "Change scan settings" for whole computer scan. Take a screen shot of that and post it, and click "Additional scan settings" and post a screen shot of that.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby KimBob » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:16 am

I have had this same problem with AVG 10 Free for quite sometime.
It does not scan on Whole Computer Scan, and does not scan on Specific Files or Folders.
Anti-Root Scan does work, but finds nothing.

I have tried all the solutions listed above, and have also tried several other solutions with
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Windows Security Scan, Malicious Software Removal Tool, Uninstalling AVG, Rebooting, Reinstalling AVG, Reboot, Repeat... Repeat...

Nothing seems to fix it.

I do notice each time I try to do a scan; another *'(check mark) Whole Computer Scan' appears on the left side bar in succession. (* - See screen shot KDR_AVG_Screenshot_001.JPG)
Also attached the suggested Screen Shots from above.

Any more suggestions ???
Attachments
KimBob_AVG_Screenshot_003.JPG
Additional Settings Screen Shot
KimBob_AVG_Screenshot_003.JPG (76.65 KiB) Viewed 10448 times
KimBob_AVG_Screenshot_002.JPG
Settings Screen Shot
KimBob_AVG_Screenshot_002.JPG (82.14 KiB) Viewed 10448 times
KimBob_AVG_Screenshot_001.JPG
Scan Complete in 2 Seconds Total Objects Scanned 0 0/0 Found
KimBob_AVG_Screenshot_001.JPG (73.15 KiB) Viewed 10448 times
KimBob
AVG Wannabee

Postby koala » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:03 am

Hi,

I am glad I am not the only one facing the problems as mentioned. I tried every means, install and uninstall, complete uninstall, download and reinstall but still same problem, AVG doesn't scan at all !!! It completes the whole computer scan in just 1 or 2 seconds! I didn't experience this in the past but only noticed it behaves abnormal recently. It used to take hours to complete the whole computer scan. I had thought if it could be due to some virus or malware but am happy to see there are others like me. Anymore AVG users experienced the same issue? Is AVG going to come out with patch to solve it? I am a long-time user of AVG and not sure what else to switch to. I am really surprised that such thing could happen to such a simple software which I have used for years! Someone pls help....Thanks!!
koala
AVG Wannabee

Postby skoop » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:22 pm

kimbob and others. Something to check---one of your pictures of your settings for Whole Computer Scan shows the slider bar at High Priority. Slide the bar back to the left and it will show User Sensitive. Then try a scan and see if that works. Just a thought and let us know how you make out.
skoop
AVG Wannabee

Postby KimBob » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:02 am

Skoop: It does not make any difference adjusting how quickly scan completes;
User sensitive, Low priority, Medium priority, High priority all have the same result.

Total Object Scanned: 0

Sometime the 'Scan Finished' time varies by a few seconds more...
but not more for Lower Priority; It kind of seems to be inverse.
KimBob
AVG Wannabee

Postby theboywicks » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:09 am

Not sure if anyone is running ZoneAlarm as well but I'd had this exact same problem with AVG 10.x Free not scanning anything (other than in memory and rootkit scans) for a couple of months until yesterday. I tried un-installing it completely, including running the AVG removal tool and several reboots, re-installing and as with others had no luck. Prior to that I'd tried repairing the existing installation and it complained that it couldn't due to a conflict with ZoneAlarm. It wasn't specific, so I uninstalled ZoneAlarm, rebooted and presto! AVG now scans everything as it always used to. Not sure whether or not to try ZoneAlarm again now and track down the exact problem but given I already run a firewall on my net gateway along with Windows firewall it's likely I won't bother with ZA again. No idea if it's relevant to anyone else's install but it's fixed it for me. This is on an XP SP3 laptop. However, I have another laptop running Vista with the same versions of ZA and AVG and have never had this problem.
theboywicks
AVG Wannabee

Postby bustedbicycle » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:19 pm

I am the original poster. After all this time, the problem still persists. I can scan an individual file, but not the computer or a directory. Zero files scanned. Additionally, AVG updates delete sndvol32.exe from the Windows/System32 file, knocking out my audio controls. I have restored sndvol32.exe a couple of times and gotten my audio controls back, however, the most recent AVG update has managed to permanently remove audio controls, which I now cannot restore from the operating system disks. Googling this problem reveals many other folks have the same problem.

By the way, I did try to attach a Prt Scr, but I could not figure out how to post it. Another poster was able to do so, and it is representative of the 0/0 scan result that I still obtain.

Also, removing Zone Alarm firewall did not end this problem. I am beginning to wonder if some sort of malware is attacking AVG.
bustedbicycle
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:18 pm

bustedbicycle wrote:I am beginning to wonder if some sort of malware is attacking AVG.

That's possible - try running Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes linked below in my sig under "Other Tools".
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby bustedbicycle » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:50 am

Sorry, I have been away for awhile. I ran HitmanPro and Malwarebytes, as you recommended - as well as TrendMicro House Call and CCleaner - but found nothing but tracking cookies from this morning's session. AVG will still not scan any files. Attempts at running the scan on my Win XP laptop show the same results as on this computer: zero files scanned. Perhaps AVG does not want users to scan their own computers.

Still stumped. I'd be interested to know if others in this thread have corrected AVG so that it scans on demand, and if so, what is it they did to make it work. Thanks.
bustedbicycle
AVG Wannabee

Postby Shmokin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:35 pm

You may have a virus/worm/malware that has stopped AVG from functioning.
Try scanning your registry files and/or use an alternative method of scanning for virus's.
This is possibly your problem (or something similar):

"";"C:\sooi832.bin\CA0A49828A9.exe";"Hidden file";"Object is hidden"
"";"C:\sooi832.bin\8274E922120C753";"Hidden file";"Object is hidden"
"";"C:\sooi832.bin";"Hidden directory";"Object is hidden"

You can remove these and other files using the AVG Anti Root Kit which should find them for you. Select them, delete them. Your AVG will then restart and bingo, you can do a full scan again.
Had same problem, nothing online that helped apart from Try this, try that... All the obvious.
Hope it helps someone.
Shmokin
AVG Wannabee

Next

Return to AVG Free Forum