VDB check failed

Assistance with AVG Internet Security and AVG Internet Security Home Edition

Moderator: Moderators

VDB check failed

Postby skyblusam » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:52 am

I have installed avg internet security 2011 and it has decided to show me that VDB check has failed on anti virus it also says the same on anti spyware and also says that resident shield is not active i have tried to find out why across the forum and noticed its very common on the free version but i have a paid for 2 year licence and this is just not good enough i have swapped over from using avast and had no such problems just installed and off you go you know the way it should be. Not go here do this do that to fix the problem a product is sold to work not have problems and my computor is working fine has plenty of memory (2gb) so its not my computor and many people have got the same problem from what i have seen this is just not good have avg screwwed up or what with internet security 2011 i think im going to have to uninstall and grab avast untill thi problem is sorted or i claim my money back
regards a very unhappy customer :x
skyblusam
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Re: VDB check failed

Postby sc123 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:24 am

skyblusam wrote:I have installed avg internet security 2011 and it has decided to show me that VDB check has failed on anti virus it also says the same on anti spyware and also says that resident shield is not active i have tried to find out why across the forum and noticed its very common on the free version but i have a paid for 2 year licence and this is just not good enough i have swapped over from using avast and had no such problems just installed and off you go you know the way it should be. Not go here do this do that to fix the problem a product is sold to work not have problems and my computor is working fine has plenty of memory (2gb) so its not my computor and many people have got the same problem from what i have seen this is just not good have avg screwwed up or what with internet security 2011 i think im going to have to uninstall and grab avast untill thi problem is sorted or i claim my money back
regards a very unhappy customer :x

Please post the exact error message and code, or a screen shot. Thanks.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby rbaier » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:48 am

I think, I have a similar problem.

As you can see, some modules are inavtive - "VDB check has failed".
May be the reason is the missing Virus DB. It seems, there is no Virus DB?!
I have reinstalled AVG, modified, repaired ... more than 1 time. Nothing happens.
AVG 9 did work withour any problems - but AVG 10 dosn't.

--
Regards
rbaier
rbaier
AVG Wannabee

Postby skyblusam » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:12 pm

mine is just the same as above and seems to have fixed itself must of been an update.But now since i have installed this none of my gadgets seem to work im on windows 7 and a few web pages fail to open just says done bottom left of screen and a blank page this version of AVG rearly is a pile of poo and i think i am going to get on to customer services and get a refund as this is just not on as rather than protecting my computer it just seems intent on messing it up :(
skyblusam
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:49 pm

Try this method of re-installing: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1177
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby skyblusam » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:35 pm

sc123 wrote:Try this method of re-installing: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1177

Hi mate that method worked for a few days but now its gone back to the same probs (as in rbairs screenshot) but has also now got surf shield not active on link scanner and online shield says partially functional and i dont know why as surf shield is enabled and so is online shield please help if you can (and sorry i dont know how to do screenshots)
skyblusam
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:25 pm

skyblusam wrote:

Hi mate that method worked for a few days but now its gone back to the same probs (as in rbairs screenshot) but has also now got surf shield not active on link scanner and online shield says partially functional and i dont know why as surf shield is enabled and so is online shield please help if you can (and sorry i dont know how to do screenshots)

I'd try downloading and running Hitman and Malwarebytes to be sure your system doesn't have something AVG isn't catching:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby reporter » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:02 pm

skyblusam wrote:

have same problem. reinstall done, worked for a few days, and the problem come back.
uninstall and reinstall again ? LOL :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

-------------------------
junk software
reporter
AVG Wannabee

Postby reporter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:08 am

Take a look at this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=AVG+VDB+ ... 5b1abc39eb

how old is the problem persist?

-------------------
sorry for bad english
reporter
AVG Wannabee

Postby Sjeng » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Well, I've been having the same problem on my Win7 64 bit machine. So I did a complete uninstall following these steps:

1) Un-install AVG in Add/Remove Programs (Programs and Features in Win Vista/7). If you can't for any reason, proceed to Step 3.
2) Reboot.
3) Use the AVG Removal Tool to remove as many traces of AVG as possible: http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools
4) Reboot, even if it doesn't prompt you.
5) Install AVG using the latest available download: http://www.avg.com/download

The removal tool didn't seem to do anything, so I ignored it, and used Ccleaner after step 3. Cleaned my registry, ccleaner found lots of AVG references. Reïnstalled newest version of AVG2011 free, and it works now.
First day though, so I'll keep my eyes open if the problem reoccurs.
I did find that I had older AVG folders still on my C: drive, which I deleted after step 2. I've found the location on the official AVG forum, but that seems to be down right now.
There was a folder at:
- C:\program files (x86)\
- C:\program data\
- C:\Users\<user name>\appdata\roaming\

I removed all folders that had AVG, AVG8, AVG9, AVG10 in them before using ccleaner.

oh, yes: ccleaner is a free cleaning tool, just google it, it's great and safe.
Sjeng
AVG Wannabee

Return to AVG Internet Security