Command line resident shield disable/enable needed

Have a feature suggestion or want to see something improved? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Command line resident shield disable/enable needed

Postby jzehring » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:46 am

Running unattended backups is slowed terribly when the resident shield is active.

Need a way to disable from command line and also a command line option to re-enable after backup complete.

Thanks.
jzehring
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Re: Command line resident shield disable/enable needed

Postby MapsonJohn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:39 pm

*bump*
I also need this. Same reason.

As a workaround you could use the windows command (in win 7, not sure if it's available on other versions) TASKKILL.
Using taskkill probably requires giving it credidentials of an admin user explicitly. I'd give you the exact command, but i haven't figuered it out myself yet :)

Restarting AVG trough the command line should be easy enough...
MapsonJohn
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Have you tried adding the backup program's application folder to the Resident Shield Exclusion list? Tools>Advanced>Resident Shield>Excluded Items.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby cmn32480 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:44 am

Has anybody made any progress on this? I'm in the same boat. ArcServe 15 is dog slow (9 hours on one particular server). When I turn resident shield off by hand before the backups, it solves my issue.

Based on what I have read in the help documentation, the command line doesn't give the facility to shut down AVG or any individual piece of it. But I may be missing something.

Does the directory exception actually give exception to the files accessed by the program in that directory, or is it only the actual files in that directory?

Chris
cmn32480
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:54 am

cmn32480 wrote:Has anybody made any progress on this? I'm in the same boat. ArcServe 15 is dog slow (9 hours on one particular server). When I turn resident shield off by hand before the backups, it solves my issue.

Based on what I have read in the help documentation, the command line doesn't give the facility to shut down AVG or any individual piece of it. But I may be missing something.

Does the directory exception actually give exception to the files accessed by the program in that directory, or is it only the actual files in that directory?

Chris

It excludes the files in that directory from being scanned. You'd need to add it to the Resident Shield's exclusion list.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Return to AVG Wish List