Wireless Printer Blocked by AVG 8.0 Firewall

Assistance with AVG Anti-Virus Professional and AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall

Moderator: Moderators

Wireless Printer Blocked by AVG 8.0 Firewall

Postby FreddieFly » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:44 am

I recently installed a HP C7280 Wireless Printer on my Belkin N1 Wireless router. The printer connects to the network just fine. While installing I had Firewall disabled. As soon as I connected the firewall the HP Printer disconnected.
I tried enabling HP services manually and setting the TCP and UDP ports as "allow for safe" for the Printers IP address which is also defined as a safe network. No luck.
When checking the Firewall Logs I see that C:Windows/System32/SVCHOST.EXE is blocked outgoing for UDP 161 and TCP 9220. I have UDP Ports 161,427 and 137 set as allow for save in services also TCP Ports 9220,9500 and 9290 set as allow for safe. However when I try to create a rule for SVCHOST in applications it tells me that It is already set in "Various System Services".
Unsure what to do next. At no time has the firewall asked me about blocking traffic for the HP Printer or All-In-One services for HP. Anyone know what to set as Allow for Safe in the Various System Services window??.
I am a registered user with AVG and have sent them three emails over the past 10 days without any reply.
FreddieFly
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Postby sc123 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:05 am

The best solution would be to find out from HP exactly what ports are used by their printer, and allow them on through the firewall.

An easier way would be to allow all traffic to the printers IP address, if it is a static IP.
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby FreddieFly » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:49 am

I am using the Small home or office profile. I have defined a network using the printer IP address as a safe network (The printer is on a static IP address). I have enabled all HP services and set the ports in question to allow traffic. The problem seems to be that the blocked service is SVCHOST.exe and I am not sure why this service is blocked to the Printers IP address.
If I change the rule on "various system services" from default (which means several different rules under advanced settings) to Setting it to allow for safe, then the HP printer suddenly re-connects. I did try each individual setting that was blocked in turn and this didnt change anything.
Setting this to Ask caused it to ask if "generic system services" could connect to the Printer IP.
So I guess I have solved the connection problem but I am not sure if what I have done has compromised my security.

Cheers
Freddie
FreddieFly
AVG Wannabee

Re: Wireless Printer Blocked by AVG 8.0 Firewall

Postby jooney » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:21 am

I have a Dell Photo AIO printer 964 and everytime I print photos or something in colored ink the picture is mostly green. If I print in black it's fine. Does anyone know how to take the greenish color off?
Last edited by jooney on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jooney
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:45 pm

Check your color cartridge - this has nothing to do with AVG.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby s0dfarm3r » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:57 pm

I have been trying to get my HP 7500 all in one printer (the scanner) working since installing AVG 9. I finally hit upon a solution. in the svchost.exe rule you must add UDP port 427 to the remote list. I added this port through an edit of an existing "subrule" - actually the first UDP subrule on the list. All the local UDP ports were open on this rule so I didn't have to add it there and the access was both ways. This little problem has been bothering me for a looooong time. Alternative workaround was to disable the firewall while scanning. I didn't mind this too much because I sit behind a a router with its own firewall. Good luck to all.
s0dfarm3r
AVG Wannabee

Postby canadagrl » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:42 pm

s0dfarm3r, can you be more specific as to how you resolved the issue? Where is the svchost.exe rule that you mentioned?

I'm having the same problem with my Epson printer and my D-Link Wireless router. I've been emailing back and forth with technical support but they've suddenly stopped emailing me back so it looks like I've come to a dead end.
canadagrl
AVG Wannabee

Postby canadagrl » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:36 am

Never mind, I figured it out.

For those having the same problem, what I did was go to Firewall settings, then I clicked on System Services. The System Service screen will pop up. At the bottom I check marked "Log Unknown incoming traffic," then clicked apply, then ok. A few minutes later, after trying to run the router/printer software a few times, I opened firewall settings again and clicked on 'Logs.' I scrolled across and found my router's IP address and made note of the TCP, Remote ports and local ports. There will likely be multiple remote and local ports.

I then clicked on System Services and then Manage User System Rules. Using the info above that I recorded, I added a new rule and named it Router. For remote addresses I selected 'Safe Networks.' I then selected Allow for Safe then clicked Ok and exited the AVG user interface.
canadagrl
AVG Wannabee

Postby justjim » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:13 am

Here is some more information:

First, I'll post some keywords for search engines to find. AVG Firewall Wireless Printer HP J4680 J4600 Dell Lexmark

1. Bring up AVG.
2. Click on History at the top, then firewall below that.
3. You should see your firewall logs sorted so that the latest date is at the bottom. You'll probably see UDP port 427 being blocked.
4. If you have the right one being blocked it will be associated with SVCHOST.EXE.
5. Right Click on that line and choose "Edit Rule in .......".
6. That will bring up the ruleset that controls what is allowed by SVCHOST.EXE.
7. Click Add.
8. Under Protocol, click on TCP. In the Change Protocol window, click on UDP.
9. Under Direction, click Out. In the next window, click Both Ways.
10. Under Local Ports, click Undefined. In the next window, click ALL Ports.
11. Under Remote Ports, click undefined. In the next window, click user selected ports and add "161, 427" to the blank list.
12. Under Remote addresses, click undefined. In the next window, choose Safe Networks (that should include Local Networks below it) and then hit Add IP. In that window, leave the setting of One IP with 0.0.0.0. -- this is a quirk of svchost.ext. click OK to work your way out to the Change Rule Detail.
13. Click Allow for all and change to Allow for Safe.
14. Check the Log this rule detail activity.
15. Change the Rule Detail Name to something like "Wireless Printer Ports".
16. Click OK.
17. Now you should see your rule at the bottom of the rule list and the one above it called Terminate.
18. Click on your rule and then click Move Up to place it above Terminate or it won't work because the firewall does these rules in order and if it hits terminate before it gets to your rule, it stops there and prevents other rules from firing.
19. Click Apply and then go look at the rules. The printer should be working now.
20. If you see an IGMP message that is your router doing some work. You add IGMP messages in System Service and then click Manage User System Rules.
a. Protocol IGMP, Direction Both Ways, local ports is set to all ports, remote ports is set to all ports.
b. remote addresses are safe network, local networks and 224.0.0.0/4 (added by clicking add IP and in IP address/mask put an address of 224.0.0.0 and a mask of 240.0.0.0)
c. Allow for safe
d. Log rule activity
e. Click OK
f. Click Apply.
justjim
AVG Wannabee

Postby ballyhoo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:23 am

Our HP c309g worked perfectly with AVG on our old Windows XP desktops but we've just got new Dell's running Windows 7 and the printer was a nightmare to install (had to turn off the firewall in the end).

The prospect of turning off the firewall every time I want to print/scan is mind-numbing so I'm glad I came across this post in my search for a solution!

Just followed justjim's instructions to the letter and everything is running perfectly, thank you!
ballyhoo
AVG Wannabee

Postby 8-ball1964 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 am

I followed justjims instructions, however I do not see IGMP, but I do see ICMP are they one and the same?
I am up to this point and sometimes the wirelsee printer is working and sometimes it is not.
8-ball1964
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:45 am

8-ball1964 wrote:I followed justjims instructions, however I do not see IGMP, but I do see ICMP are they one and the same?
I am up to this point and sometimes the wirelsee printer is working and sometimes it is not.

I'm sure he meant ICMP - that's ping traffic.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby 8-ball1964 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:53 am

A little more info of what I see in System Services window. There are many different types of ICMP services and protocols. ex.... ICMPv6 Multicast Router Solicitation. and ICMP Multicast Router Termination. In all of these instances the Log Rule actions to the left of each one is unchecked. However the ACTION for each is set to Allow for All. Scrolling down the list there are several that have a check mark in the box to the left, but nothing is indicating a ICMP or IGMP.
8-ball1964
AVG Wannabee

Postby 8-ball1964 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Ok I am on instruction # 20, from justjims post. It states "20. If you see an IGMP message that is your router doing some work. You add IGMP messages in System Service and then click Manage User System Rules.
a. Protocol IGMP, Direction Both Ways, local ports is set to all ports, remote ports is set to all ports.

I am good until I get to local ports. It does not ask me anything about local ports, Instead it asks me for ICMP type. Then there are 19 options to select such as 0-Echo Replu,1- Reserved,2-Reserved, 3-Destination Unreachable, 4=Source Quench, 5-Redirect, 6-Alternate Host, 7- Reserved, 8-Echo, 9-Router Advertisement, 10-Router Solicitation, 11-Time Exceeded, 12-Parameter Problem, 13-Timestamp, 14- Timestamp Reply, 15- Information Request, 16-Information Reply, 17-Address Mask Request, 18-Address Mask Reply. It does not let me get out of there without choosing one.
Sorry for all the details.
8-ball1964
AVG Wannabee

Return to AVG Anti-Virus Professional