avgxch32.dll issues with Outlook 2007

Assistance with AVG Anti-Virus Professional and AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall

Moderator: Moderators

avgxch32.dll issues with Outlook 2007

Postby TeriMcHelper » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:39 pm

I am fighting this error message that pops up after Outlook is open and I begin multitasking:

"The Add-in "AVG Exchange Extension" (c:\progra~1\AVG7\avgxch32.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook. Please contact the Add-in manufacturer for an update. if no update is available, please uninstall the Add-in. out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again."

When this message appears everything is frozen, the error message loops so it is hard to make it go away so that I can close any of the programs down.

Here are the facts:
I have updated, several times, AVG Free Version. Newly installed on a new laptop a few weeks ago;
There are no add-ins in the Outlook Trust Center > Add-ins;
The avgxch32.dll DOES exist in the Registry. I have not deleted it as I have read other posts where deleting it did not fix the problem, I have a fear of making the problem worse;
Had tried to locate the "extend.dat" file to delete it, per other posts. Search could not locate this file on my hard drive until I did a search this evening, finally it showed up. I deleted it.

Between this message and Outlook running at a snails pace I am going crazy!
Please, I'm desperate. Does anyone know what to do?

Running Windows Vista, 2g ram, 200g hard drive.
TeriMcHelper
AVG Wannabee

Advertisement

Start Your Own Webstore - Get a FREE 14 Day Trial of Shopify!

Postby sc123 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:29 pm

I have seen this issue caused by one of the Office service packs adding "extra security" that creates problems with plug-ins (i.e. add ons). Exactly what version and SP of Office are you using?
Regards,
SC123 - Founder, http://www.AVGForums.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Complete uninstall/reinstall method | Other tools to try | Search the forums!
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby TeriMcHelper » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:09 am

sc123 wrote:I have seen this issue caused by one of the Office service packs adding "extra security" that creates problems with plug-ins (i.e. add ons). Exactly what version and SP of Office are you using?

Answer:
Per "Help > About" in Outlook the versions are:
MS Office Outlook 2007 (12.0.6023.5000) MSO (12.6017.5000). The most recent updates were installed last week just after I installed the software.

Thanks for your help!
TeriMcHelper
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:44 am

I'd put money on the problem being caused by the Office 2003 SP3 update. I have never been able to determine why Office 2007 requires Office 2003 SP3. I'd try uninstalling Office 2003 SP3 and seeing if that fixes it.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby TeriMcHelper » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:11 am

sc123 wrote:I'd put money on the problem being caused by the Office 2003 SP3 update. I have never been able to determine why Office 2007 requires Office 2003 SP3. I'd try uninstalling Office 2003 SP3 and seeing if that fixes it.

Okay ~ FYI - MSO '03 was never installed on this computer, if that info helps.
I understand what you mean but how do I find if MSO '03 SP3 is installed and how do I remove it?

In Programs & Features the only MSoft 2003 item listed is Web Components.

Thanks again.
TeriMcHelper
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:50 pm

The only way to uninstall Office Service Packs is to completely uninstall Office and then make sure you apply all of the updates minus the offending SP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873125

Otherwise, you could simply allow Outlook to disable the Exchange plug-in, which shouldn't affect AVG's ability to scan for viruses if you're not using Exchange.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby sc123 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:59 pm

Here is an even better solution, which may resolve the issue:

Link: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/faq/us/frt/ ... 82#faq_682

Please perform the following procedure:

* close your Outlook program
* register avgxch32.dll by following command from the Start menu -> Run: regsvr32.exe "c:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgxch32.dll"
* run Outlook again and check the existence of AVG Free for Windows items in the Tools menu

If the items are still missing, do the following:

* close Outlook program
* unregister library by following command regsvr32.exe /u "c:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgxch32.dll" (Start menu -> Run)
* locate and remove EXTEND.DAT file from your hard drive
* register avgxch32.dll library again (as mentioned above)
* run Outlook program
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

avgxch32.dll error

Postby tonyreynol » Tue May 27, 2008 10:35 am

The path to the avgxch32.dll file is incorrect. A "work-around" would be to locate the file in the c:\program files\avg\avg8 directory. Copy the avgxch32.dll file to the c:\program files\grisoft\avg7 directory.

A better solution would be to change the add-in pointer in Outlook.
tonyreynol
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:51 am

The path is correct for AVG 7.5 - which is what this post addresses.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby tonyreynol » Tue May 27, 2008 10:58 am

I know what this post addresses. I would bet that the initial post was in response to an error received after loading the new 8.0 version on a Vista machine.
tonyreynol
AVG Wannabee

Postby sc123 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:18 pm

tonyreynol wrote:I know what this post addresses. I would bet that the initial post was in response to an error received after loading the new 8.0 version on a Vista machine.

AVG 8.0 wasn't released in 2007, and the OP showed the path being AVG 7.
Regards,
sc123
Forum Administrator

Postby tonyreynol » Tue May 27, 2008 12:53 pm

Point taken. I received the same error after installing 8.0. I would suggest checking the path stated in the error message and verifying that it is correct.

My input is now complete. Sorry for any confusion with the version issues. I was linked to this thread from Google. The error message is obviously not version specific.
tonyreynol
AVG Wannabee

Free AVG7.5 to AVG8 upgrade causes outlook add-in file error

Postby pozdol » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:17 pm

How to eliminate add-in error after an upgrade to AVG8 Free from AVG7.5?? This is the popup that comes up when you start outlook and says it cant find an AVGXCH32 file and then to do something in outlook to fix it. It appears the solution is that the file avgxch32.dll is deleted from c:\program files\grisoft\avg free during the 7.5 to 8.0 upgarade and is only in a new directory c:\program files\avg\avg8. I copied it from the new avg8 directory to the old spot that the outlook add-in was looking for and it solved the problem.
pozdol
AVG Wannabee

Another Soltion that Works

Postby Walthtz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:32 pm

I have a new system in which I copied the Outlook 2003 proffesional data file to my new system. When I did I was getting the same erros as others about the AVGXCH32.dll file is missing. I went into explorer & looked for the AVG/Grisoft folder. It was not there. I created it, copied the dll file into it, Now Outlook 2003 starts & runs without any problem.

Walthtz
AVG Wannabee

Re: avgxch32.dll issues with Outlook 2007

Postby glenfel » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:02 pm

I don't even have avg installed anymore - I still has the problem with this .dll error & here's how I resolved it, much to my surprise:

1.On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Other tab.
2.Click Advanced Options, and then click Add-In Manager.
3.To disable an add-in, clear the check box next to the add-in, and then click OK.

Strangely enought, I'm not connected to an Exchange server, but AVG makes Outlook think I am when AVG is installed - gues it's "just in case you ever do" - but the above fix, straight from the Outlook Help site, worked like a charm
glenfel
AVG Wannabee

Next

Return to AVG Anti-Virus Professional